Winter has its soups served with bread and salad, and summer has its grilled meat and salad and…what? Who wants to heat up the oven for potatoes or bread?
Our latest summer staple has been bread cooked on the grill. It’s incredibly delicious! And, now the whole meal – meat, veggies, and bread – can be cooked outdoors by my husband. Score!
It’s very simple and does not require kneading or fancy equipment.
Grilled Flatbread Recipe
This recipe serves about 4 people and doubles easily.
- In a large bowl, at least 2 hours before you’re going to grill and as early as breakfast time, mix together
- 3 cups flour (I use up to 2/3 whole wheat)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/4 cup water
- Cover and let rise until 15 minutes before you’re going to grill.
- Turn dough out onto counter. Divide into tennis-ball-size rounds. Dust a cookie sheet or pizza peel with flour.
- Roll out balls into 1/2″ thick discs. Dust both sides with flour as you go.
- Spray flatbreads with olive oil (I use my Misto) and sprinkle the top with a bit of sea salt.
- Take them out to the grill. Lay the oiled side down on the preheated grill and spray the other side with oil. Cook for 2-3 minutes per side, then return to the cookie sheet or pizza peel.
Tools used to make grilled bread
Plan ALL the meals!
The Simplified Pantry menu plans make it easy! Menu planning shouldn’t require magic to make everything come together. Find out how quick and simple menu planning can be with the Simplified Pantry system – get started for free!